Lina Tonia, was born in Greece, in 1985. She studied composition at the Department of Music in Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (2003 – 2008), with Professor Christos Samaras.
She completed a PhD in composition in Edinburgh University (2008 – 2012) under the supervision of the professor Nigel Osborne and Michael Edwards, where she was studying with a Greek National Scholarship from Union of Greek Composers (2008 – 2009) and IKY Foundation (2009 – 2011).
She studied composition with Michael Jarrell at the Vienna University (2012 – 2013). Currently she is working as a postdoctoral researcher in Music Theory & Composition (fellowship of the Research Committee of A.U.Th).
She has participated in several national and international composition competitions and has been awarded prizes for her works in New York, Weimar, Vienna, Moscow, Plovdin, Sofia, London, Tirana, Athens and Thessaloniki. She received the Baerenreiter prize fot her work “CONtrust” (2010).
She has been performed by many artists, ensembles and orchestras including the Arditti Quartet, the London Contemporary Orchestra, the Jalas Chamber Orchestra, the Edinburgh Quartet, the Alea III ensemble, the Hebrides ensemble, the ensemble Marges, the Dissonart ensemble, the Piandaemonium ensemble, the Idee Fix ensemble, the Greek National Opera, the State Orchestra of Athens and broadcast on BBC Radio3.
Some of her works are published by Sconfinarte Editions under a pedagogical goal about contemporary music for young performers.
She is a member of International Alliance for Women in Music (IAWM), Vox Novus and also of the Union of Greek Composers.
STUDIES IN UNIVERSITY
- Postdoctoral Research in Music Theory and Composition – Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Department of Music (2013 – 2014)
- Master Degree of Composition – University of Vienna, Department of Music and Fine Arts, Professor Michael Jarrell (2012 – 2013)
- PhD in Composition – University of Edinburgh, Department of Music, Professor Nigel Osborne (2008 – 2012)
- Master and Bachelor Degree in Composition – Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Department of Music, Professor Christos Samaras (2002 – 2008)
STUDIES IN CONSERVATORY
- Piano Degree – Municipal Conservatory of Edessa (Greece, Awarded June 2010)
- Fuge Degree – Nakas Conservatory of Thessaloniki (Greece, Awarded January 2008)
- Counterpoint Degree – Nakas Conservatory of Thessaloniki (Greece, Awarded January 2006)
- Harmony Degree – Minore Conservatory of Alexandria (Greece, Awarded June 2001)
- Research Committee of Aristotle University of Thessaloniki for post-doctoral research in Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, 2013 – 2014
- IKI Foundation Greek National Scholarship for post-graduate studies in Edinburgh University, 2009 – 2012
- AEPI Foundation in coorporation with the Union of Greek Composers for post-graduate studies in Edinburgh University, 2008 – 2009
- Triantafillia Kriezi Foundation for undergraduate studies in Aristotles University of Thessaloniki, 2002 – 2008
- 3rd Prize to the 1st International Composition Contest, Violas 2014 (France) forthe work Neuma for solo viola, April 2014
- Honorary Diploma to the 3rd International “Edison Denisov” CompositionCompetition in Tomsk (Russia) for the work Wind Quintet Nr. 2 for wind quintet,September 2013
- 1st Prize to the International Composition Competition of Institute Kunsthaus of Muerz (Austria) for the work Kivos for 12 celli, June 2013
- 3rd Prize to the 1st International “Alexander Myaskovsky” Composition Competition in Moscow (Russia) for the work Chronographia for string quartet, February 2012
- 1st Prize to the 7th International “Young Virtouosos” Composition Competition in Sofia (Bulgary) for the work Krama for chamber ensemble, April 2011
- Baerenreiter Award to the 12th International “Via Nova” Composition Competition in Weimar (Germany) for the work CONtrust for flute, clarinet and cello, May 2010
- 2nd Prize to the 12th International “Via Nova” Composition Competition in Weimar (Germany) for the work CONtrust for flute, clarinte and cello, May 2010
- Finalist to the 1st International “Antonin Dvorak” Composition Competition in Prague (Hungary) for the work Prismatic for chamber orchestra, June 2010
- Honorary mention to the International Young Composer’s Workshop of London Contemporary Orchestra in London for the work Prismatic for chamber orchestra, January 2010 –
- 3rd Prize to the International “Golden Key” Composition Competition in New York (USA) for the work The Gearden with the Illusions for piano, January 2010
- 3rd Prize to the 2nd International “Ton de Leeuw” Composition Competition in Tirana (Albania) for the work For the Absence for chamber ensemble, November 2008
- 3rd Prize to the 4th International “Ivan Spassov” Composition Competition in Plovdiv (Bulgary) for the work Epitimbio for orchestra, November 2007
- 1st Prize to the 4th International “Jurgenson” Composition Competition in Moscow (Russia) for the string quartet Mnimonion, September 2007
- 2nd Prize to the 1st National Composition Competition of the Municipal Conservatory of Kavala (Greece) for the work Eortasmos for children choir and piano, April 2013
- 1st Prize to the 1st National Composition Competition of the National Lyric Opera in Athens (Greece) for the work The Expelled for soprano, female choir and orchestra, June 2012
- Honorary mention to the 2nd National Young Composer’s Workshop in National Concert Hall of Thessaloniki (Greece) for the work Deisis for chamber ensemble, May 2008
- 3rd Prize to the 1st National Opera Festival of Thessaloniki (Greece) for the opera for children Who did wee at the middle of Mississipi? for five singers, one speaker, children choir and orchestra, May 2008
- Title of New Artist for the year 2008, from the Union of Greek Critics in Music and Theater, December 2008
- 1st Prize to the National Festival of Friends of Music in Anthousa (Greece) for the Mnimonion I string quartet, December 2006
- 1st Prize to the 2nd National Young Composer’s Workshop organized by the Municipal Conservatory of Patra in coorporation with the Greek Composer’s Union in Patra (Greece) for the work Ikesia IV for chamber ensemble, September 2006
- Honorary mention to the National Festival of Friends of Music in Anthousa (Greece) for the work Ikesia II for string quintet, December 2005
- 1st Prize to the 1st National Composition Competition organized by the Aristotles University of Thessaloniki in Thessaloniki (Greece) for the work Anil for clarinet and piano, October 2005
- 2nd Prize to the National X.O.N Composition Competition in coorporation with Unesco in Athens (Greece), for the work Half Moon for voice and piano, April 2003
PARTICIPATION IN INTERNATIONAL WORKSHOPS
- Arditti’s Quartet Composition Workshop in Guildhall School of Music & Drama, April 2014 in London.
- Chamber Opera Workshop organized by Peter Eotvos Music Foundation (active participant), April 2013 in Budapest
- 5th Junges Deutsches Komponistenforum in coorporation with Via Nova with th work Paraphrase for guitar, violin, cello and accordion, November 2011 in Sonderhausen.
- The University of Pennsylvania in 9th Workshop of Women Composers | The Garden With The Illusions for piano, March 2011 in Philadelphia
- The University of Edinburgh in coorporation with Hans Abrahamsen | Diaphanous for Horn, Cello and Piano, March 2010 in Edinburgh
- The University of Edinburgh in coorporation with Marcus Weiss | Voyage (S) I, November 2010 in Edinburgh
- Music and Architecture | Diathlasis for flute, oboe, clarinet, horn, trumpet, percussion (1), violin, viola,violoncello, contrabass, October 2010 in London
- 4th Junges Deutsches Komponistenforum in coorporation with Via Nova | Rodostama for flute and piano, October 2010 in Sonderhausen.
- London Contemporary Orchestra | Prismatic for chamber ensemble, January 2009 in London.
- ALEA III in coorporation with the Boston University | Prismatic for chamber ensemble, January 2009 in Boston.
PARTICIPATION IN NATIONAL WORKSHOPS
- Young Composer’s Workshop at the Concert Hall of Thessaloniki in coorporation with the Aristotles Univeristy of Thessaloniki | Deisis for chamber ensemble, May 2008
- Young Composer’s Workshop at the Concert Hall of Athens in coorporation with the Greek Composer’s Union | Nostalgic for violin and chamber ensemble, April 2007
- Young Composer’s Workshop at the Municipal Conservatory of Patra in coorporation with the Greek Composer’s Union | Ikesia IV for chamber ensemble, September 2006
- New Conservatory of Thessaloniki (from 2012 to 2014) | Lessons: Composition to talented children (ages 12 – 16), Counterpoint, Harmony, Music Theory, Solfege and Dictee
- State Conservatory of Greece (from 2012 to 2013) | Lessons: Music Theory, Solfege and Dictee
- Nakas Conservatory of Thessaloniki (from 2005 to 2008) | Lessons: Harmony, Music Theory Solfege and Dictee
- Municipal Conservatory of Thermi, Thessaloniki (from 2006 to 2008) | Lessons: Harmony, Music Analysis, History of Music, Music Theory Solfege and Dictee